Baking Soda I got Baking Soda! S2-E5

I have made an Oopsie


No that is not blood but my sweet sweet Tannic acid. This week I have learned a lesson in patience. I poured way too much of the water tannin solution into a beaker and it boiled over. Thankfully I have more than enough nutshells to replace this mistake. But this Tannin has been looking darker than usual this week because Matt and I have found a better way of extracting the Tannin from the shells. Having a higher ph Tannin is extracted easier so we have been adding baking soda into the water solution. 
This week we have also gotten a blender! It has made crushing the nut meat less arduous. We are doing a cold extraction right now on about 5 cups of nut meat. We will do a first tasting of the nuts this Monday and if they don't taste any good we will continue cold extraction until Wednesday. After that, we will dry out the nut meat and have acorn flour!
Finally this week I have written up a derivation on the value of pi! I used the Method of Exhaustion used by Archimedes over 2,250 years ago! For those who are interested in reading, I will include a link here.

Comments

  1. Patience is virtue but that is also a lesson i have to learn still too. But at least now you know what not to do now. I am excited for the dark tannin and for the blender to help you in the endeavors of the nutting. I am excited too know what squirrels eat tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having patience is something that everyone should learn, it helps with staying focused and on point. But to be honest, it does look like a crime scene in there, not going to lie. I've tried the nuts after being cooked already, and they weren't that bad, they did have a weird taste of Clorox to me though. But I could just be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just peeking at the plants and society class the other day, and there was all this stuff in there related to natural dyes. It looked like they had made their own dyes and used them on eggs. Your making the ink from the acorns reminded me of that. I wonder if your experiment could be used in the class? It’s so interesting to see something just laying around everywhere that I never really knew what they could be used for actually being used.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts