Week 5 The Master Spreadsheet

Another week another batch of scans. This week hasn’t been too too crazy I’m just scanning the rest of my X-rays and trying to organize them. I have learned this week the importance of data management and organization. For a while now I have been using two separate spreadsheets. One describing the age and sex of the bones and the other matching the scan to its ID number. I’ve come to realize that, doing it this way and such a waste of time. With this, I am in the works of a master spreadsheet that will have everything I will need including my measurements.

I have come to realize that a semester is not that long especially with a research project. So in order to get real results this semester, I will only be looking at the Femur bone measurements. Bill was telling me in many studies Femur bones are studied because they are a weight-bearing bone so the effect of bone loss will be much greater.

-- John Burns

Comments

  1. John I too am relearning the importance of data management and organization. Tell.me.about.it. I also like how you decided to narrow your measurements to the femur bone. From what you are saying it will make the discussion of bone loss more succinct due to it being an industry standard. Totally of subject but, have you found any of the bones to have fractures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John! Trust me I know what you mean about organization. There was one point in my project where I did not organize that well and it really screwed up my group a lot, we were confused as to what was what and there was no way of figuring it out. But it is good that you are developing those techniques early on! What project are you working on, I am curious?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The organization of something is key to anything we do that involves a procedure or methodology. Being organized is being in control. It's good to see you're beginning to organize your data in a better way to reduce clutter and possibly massively increase efficiency in data collection for your project. Jolly good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts