Loafs on Loafs S2-E9

You got bread?
-Nicki Minaj

Real Acorn Bread

The first batch of Acorn bread was..... okay. I knew that I could do better but it is quite difficult to find a good recipe for acorn bread these days. But I finally found one! From this website here. This is not a traditional recipe but I wanted to see if I could make something delicious. Here's the recipe:
  • 1 cup wheat flour, 1 cup acorn flour
  • 1 packet of yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg beaten
I thought I would post the recipe just in case some of the readers in the house had access to acorn flour too. The bread came out delicious here's a picture: 

I let the bread rise twice to give it a little less dense texture but in the end it was pretty dense. It's quite a journey to make a big portion of your food by scratch but really worth it. It was great to be able to share this bread with the fellow interns and my family. For those of you who are interested really a traditional recipe for acorn bread would look something like this:
  • Acorn flour
  • Water
It's not the best tasting thing but when this is a stable food supply that doesn't require much energy to grow it's a go to for many indigenous people. To read more about acorns being used by Native Americans there is this link here. And for a link to more recipes with acorns you can go to this website here.

Comments

Popular Posts