An Ode to SPSS S2E10

The unity of science 
consists alone in its method,
not in its materials
-Karl Pearson

Just kidding

I have mixed feelings about SPSS on the surface I would say it seems to be extremely user friendly but at other times its really not. I have been able to do a Paired T-test, Linear Regression, One way ANOVA, Two way ANOVA, Levene test, Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, Anderson-Darling test, Shapiro-Wilks test, but for the life of me I cannot do a simple Bonferroni or Tukey pairwise comparison for more than one dependent variable and its driving me crazy! I have spent the last week or so teaching myself SPSS for the my Bio-Stats video but also in preparation to do a my Two way ANOVA for the Amarna bones. I am completely at a loss. But i'll end my rant there. 

Before I could even start the Two-way ANOVA I needed first to see if body mass played a role in bone thickness. Using a collection of body masses created by my mentor I did a linear regression on both the male and female groups to see what the R squared values were. But after some thought I think I also need to look at the p-values too. R values are fine but I see p-values being much more concrete. Looking at the R values it looks like body mass has a weak relationship with bone thickness. But I will have more conclusive results with p-values generated. 

SPSS is a powerful program but I see it being very limited I think I will use SYSTAT to finish up my Two way ANOVA because I know it can do a pairwise comparison with two dependent variables. But I look to the future to use R for doing my Stats programs. 


Comments

Popular Posts