Week 7 Finally some real progress

I have finally made a real dent in my pile of X-rays! Since switching over to the caliper way I am zooming through my measurements. I do my measurements in my office in the Liberal Arts building. I am using a dual screen set up with one screen brightness all the way up with a white background. I have the spreadsheet on the left to help me identify what each bone is on the X-ray. Here's a picture:


With the femur bones, they have been taken at two different, one an anterior angle (Front facing angle) and the other a Medial angle (or middle angle, in this case inside looking out). With these angles, I am measuring 50% down the femur and I am collecting medial, anterior, lateral, and posterior bone thickness. Because I have never taken an anatomy class before to make sure my measurements are correct I created a little cheat sheet for myself.


It helps me differentiate between what is lateral and medial for the Anterior X-rays and what is anterior and posterior for my Medial X-rays. Along with this I also have a bunch of casting of the actual bones the I use to measure the entire length of the bone. With it I measure the anterior, lateral, and medial lengths. I will use this to find the total bone loss of each bone. A typical bone casting looks like this:


All in all, everything is going much smoother! I'm excited to run my two way ANOVA after this!

--John Burns



Comments

  1. John I can feel the excitement through your post about getting into a groove and making some really big strides. Your setup looks amazing and well thought out, I really like it. Not only are you doing a very interesting Statistics project it seems like your Anatomy vocabulary is growing with this whole project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a pleasure as always. keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts