Week 6 There has got to be a better way!



Whale yet again another unexpected hurdle in my research. I can say
deep deep down in the darkest part of my heart I hate photo scanners with a passion. I have scanned
every single one of my X-rays a total of three times and each time scans are completely deleted or lost
and because of that, I have to restart every single g-darn time! I absolutely hate photoscanners and
because of this, I have been looking for other options for collecting data. I have turned to using
calipers and a lightbox to do so. After reading a handful of articles specifically an article published in
the Journal of Human Evolution. The article is by Benjamin M Auerbach and Christopher B. Ruff and
its titled ‘Limb bone bilateral asymmetry: variability and commonality among modern humans’. In the
paper they go over their methods for looking at limb bone asymmetry and in it, they use calipers to
measure four types of bones. With their methodology, their prestige, and the journal, it was published
in I have self-justified using calipers for my research. And besides this will open up an interesting
opportunity to compare methodologies. Next semester when I’m looking at the humerus bones I can
measure both by ImageJ and using a caliper to see if there is a significant difference. I hope
everyone else’s research is going well, I’d love to know!


--John Burns

Comments

Popular Posts