Identifying the Mystery Bacteria

This week I have been getting all of my preliminary work done. I finished up my Ethics and
Safety training workshops and have finally started on lab work. I have thus far gotten
two Petri dishes inoculated with a mystery bacteria and it's my job to identify what it is
exactly. My job in the lab was to take an unknown broth of bacteria and to isolate the
bacteria to figure out what it was. I used a three quadrant streak plate method. And with
it, I was able to isolate the bacteria.

Mystery Bacteria
                                      
With that, the bacteria was put on a slide and dyed. Here are a few pictures of the bacteria
under a 40X magnification:


The bacteria on the isolation dish in the third quadrant was a collection of a small cluster
of colonies. They are a collection of punctiform colonies all with entire/ slightly
undulated edges. They are raised with smooth surfaces. Also, the bacteria colonies are
transparent with a butyrous consistency with a yellow pigment. Looking under the
microscope the bacteria was Gram-negative with a red color with accents of pink.
The Bacteria was also rod-shaped so it was a Bacilli.

To figure out what the bacteria actually was two tests were conducted. The first was
an Oxidase test, the bacteria turned purple so it tested positive and so afterward a
Glucose Fermentation test was done to determine if the bacteria has a negative or
positive fermentation and it is acidic or not. The test was a flop the base of the tube turned
red while the inside of the Durham tube had a gas bubble and it was yellow on the inside.
Pictured here:

With this anomaly, another Petri dish was inculcated and put into a 42 degree (Celcius)

Incubator, it will be known by Friday what kind of bacteria it is. If bacteria grows
it will be Pseudomonas aeruginosa if there is no growth it will be Pseudomonas
oryzihabitans.

A side note, my semester-long project I have been wanting to something that is
more Statistics based since that is my major so I have decided to work on looking at the
bone thickness of  X-rays taken of skeletons from Egypt. And to prepare for my
statistical work I have been given a book on Stats that I am reading!

--- John Burns

Comments

  1. We had the same bacteria. I'm taking statistics this semester, so I'm super interested to see how you sort your data. Statistics seem a lot like putting together puzzles to me. You get all these individual pieces and you're sorting through them and fitting them together to see the picture that they make. I've heard that they have a bunch of people just sorting through genetic information and statistics on that at ASU. It's really exciting. Bioinformatics I think it's called.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts