Week 3: Research Proposal



A cross-sectional study on bone loss of remains found in Amarna Egypt

My research project will be a cross-sectional study of skeletal remains found in Amarna Egypt. This study is significant because of the history of Amarna. It was a capital city of Egypt established by Akhetaten in 1348 BC and was later abandoned and demolished 28 years later. The city was built from the ground up by Akhetaten as a brand new city for his monotheistic god Aten. The history allows archaeologists to look at skeletal remains from a very tight generation. Instead of looking at remains that span hundreds or thousands of years this collection spans one to two generations of people. This is important because the data set will allow more precision and have a better explanation as to how these people lived and who they were. This study will provide a better understanding of human bone loss through time. Also it could be used to compare human bone loss and structure with people from modern times. There is much to be gained in the history of Egypt as well as modern medical research.

In this study, only statistical tests will be done. The data set that will be worked on has already been collected. The data collection was done on approximately 40 males subjects and 80 female subjects. Two areas of the body were looked at. X-rays of the humerus and the femur were taken at the medial and anterior angle for each bone. The subjects are then divided up into two specific groups one is sex and the other is age, both of which are categorical.  Sex will obviously be either male or female. Since the bones of the deceased had died over 2 millennia ago the exact age is unknown but an age range can be determined. The age categories will be divided up into four different age groups 15-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45+. One more variable that will be taken into account is the weight of the person. Using the femur head and some of the pelvis bones that have been found a ratio will be taken between the two to determine an accurate weight between the femur head and pelvis. With this ratio, a linear equation can be derived to find an accurate weight for all the subjects. With the X-rays, actual measurements of the thickness of the bone were made in Egypt using calipers. I will use this in ImageJ, a software used to measure scans and pictures, to calibrate it. With that, I will take measurements of the thickness of the bone from the medullary cavity and the compact/spongy bone. Taken from all subjects this will give a good representation of what bone loss looked like as people aged long ago.

This dataset is extremely large and because of that many questions can be answered but the overall question is to see how age and sex affect bone loss in this sample of people. Without a doubt, as individuals age, there will be bone loss but I believe that bone loss will be greater in the female sex as they age. I believe my results will prove my hypothesis. If I were to plot the points of thickness on a graph it would show that as age increased thickness in bone would decrease in both sexes but the female group would have a greater inverse relationship.

-- John Burns

Comments

  1. I wonder what made you want to base your hypothesis on gender when you talk about the data potentially shedding light on their lifestyles and bone loss through time especially compared to modern times? I think it would be super interesting to see if there was a correlation to bone loss and the use of synthetic chemicals and plastic in particular. Matt was just telling me today that plastics often act like hormones in our bodies. Anyway, I was just wondering. Maybe that could be the next phase of your project. I believe that a lot of nutritional studies are corollary, and I always wondered how much I could really trust them. I got the whole correlation between drowning and ice cream consumption speech in BIO182, but I think that I also read somewhere that it was studies of correlation that were used to establish that smoking causes cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. For my reasoning as to why I believe gender has a significant effect on bone loss is when women go through menopause they lose a significant about of bone density because of the hormone change. So because of modern research I will use that as sort of a compass rose for seeing how my study is going. But who knows maybe because of how old these bones are bone loss could be completely different to how it is now a days.

      Delete
    3. Yes! I totally think that it's relevant and significant! That's not what I meant at all. I hope you don't think it was a criticism. I was just super curious why you seemed to focus on that when there are so many interesting things that you could have compared for your study. That's what I meant when I said next phase, that you're comparing gender in one time frame now, but maybe for the next phase, you could bring in additional time frames. I'm super curious for the implications of the finding of your study as is also. I'm just also curious in how people choose what to focus on and how they choose what connections to follow.

      Delete
  2. https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/the-study-that-helped-spur-the-us-stop-smoking-movement.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts